Olympus OM-D E-M1X Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)
Warranty: 1 Year Warranty By Olympus (M) Online Register
- 20.4MP Live MOS Micro Four Thirds Sensor
- Dual TruePic VIII Image Processors
- Integrated Vertical Grip, Dual Batteries
- 2.36m-Dot 0.83x Electronic Viewfinder
- 3.0″ 1.037m-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen
- DCI 4K/24p & UHD 4K/30p Video Recording
- 5-Axis Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization
- 15 fps Shooting and Expanded ISO 25600
- 121-Point All Cross-Type Phase-Detect AF
- Weather-Sealed Construction
Focused on reliability, speed, and versatility, the Olympus OM-D E-M1X Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only) , offering a broad range of photo and video capabilities to satisfy the professional shooter’s needs. Featuring a high-resolution 20.4MP Live MOS sensor and dual TruePic VIII image processors, the E-M1X is characterized by its quick continuous shooting, up to 60 fps with an electronic shutter and 15 fps with a mechanical shutter, as well as DCI and UHD 4K video recording. The sensor and processors also offer a sensitivity range up to ISO 25600 while a sophisticated 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization system compensates for up to 7.5 stops of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. Beyond just imaging, the sensor’s design also incorporates 121 on-chip phase-detection points, all of which are cross-type, along with 121 contrast-detection areas for fast and precise focusing and subject tracking performance.
Distinguishing itself further, the E-M1X is also the first Micro Four Thirds camera to feature an integrated vertical grip for improved ergonomics and handling regardless of shooting in horizontal or vertical orientation. This grip also allows for two batteries to be used at a time, for longer shooting sessions. The durable magnesium-alloy body is further characterized by its extensive weather-sealing to support working in harsh climates, and both a 2.36m-dot, 0.83x-magnification electronic viewfinder and 3.0″ 1.037m-dot vari-angle LCD touchscreen are featured, too, for intuitive control and working from a variety of angles. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth further expand sharing and remote shooting capabilities, and dual SD card slots and a USB 3.0 Type-C port expand file saving and tethered shooting capabilities.
- 20.4MP Live MOS Sensor and Dual TruePic VIII Image Processors
- A high-resolution 20.4MP Live MOS sensor and dual TruePic VIII image processors work in concert to provide notably fast shooting performance, expanded sensitivity range up to ISO 25600, and versatile 4K video recording capabilities. Ideal for sports and wildlife shooting, the sensor and processor combination avails a full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 15 fps for up to 103 consecutive raw files when working with the mechanical shutter. When shooting with the silent electronic shutter, this shooting rate can be boosted up to 60 fps with single-shot AF for up to 49 consecutive raw frames or 18 fps shooting with continuous AF for up to 74 consecutive raw frames.
- DCI and UHD 4K Video Recording and OM-Log
- The sensor and processor also support recording both DCI (4096 x 2160) and UHD (3840 x 2160) 4K movies. When working in DCI, a true 24.00 fps frame rate is used, along with IPB compression and a 237 Mb/s bit-rate, and UHD 4K is available in frame rates up to 30p and a 102 Mb/s bit-rate. Full HD 1080p and HD 720p recording is also supported. Audio recording is possible using the built-in stereo microphone, and both an external mic jack and headphone jack are available for improved audio recording and monitoring.
Benefitting recording in varying light conditions, an integrated OM-Log setting can be used to extend the effective dynamic range and afford a greater range of control during post-production color grading when used with the accompanying LUT file. Use of an external recording monitor is also possible, via HDMI output, which supports 4:2:2 color for a greater color correction range.
Additionally, a Time-lapse Movie mode is also available for recording up to 4K UHD resolution with a 5 fps shooting rate to highlight subject changes or movement over a longer period of time. Full HD and HD time-lapse settings are available, too, as well as a high-speed Full HD setting with 120 fps frame rate.
- 121-Point All Cross-Type Phase-Detection AF
- An advanced autofocus system combines both 121 on-chip phase-detection points and 121 contrast detection areas for focusing performance that is both quick and accurate. All 121 phase-detection points are cross-type, too, for improved precision in mixed lighting conditions, as well as enhanced subject tracking capabilities. Different focusing modes are available to suit working in various shooting conditions, including 121-point, for general use; Group 25-point, for moving subjects, such as birds and wildlife, and when 121-point is too wide; Group 9-Point, for smaller and more distant subjects; Group 5-Point, for when 9-point is too wide or to suit working with nearer moving subjects; Single, for working with still or small subjects that are not moving; and Small AF, for working with close-up subjects. Custom AF targets can also be set, for working with specific numbers of focus points within the 121-point grid, and an AF limiter function allows you to constrain the focusing distance within a specified range for more responsive performance. Additionally, continuous autofocus sensitivity can be set, to benefit its use while recording video, within five levels for more pleasing focus movements.
Complementing the control over autofocus, focusing speed and tracking is further benefitted by Intelligent Subject Detection AF; an algorithm that uses deep learning technology to automatically detect specific subjects, focus on them, and track them. This system has specifically been developed for photographing cars, motorcycles, airplanes, helicopters, trains, and locomotives. For photographing people, Face Priority and Eye Priority AF is also available to prioritize the face and eyes of your subject. And for working in low-light conditions, focusing sensitivity is available down to -6 EV.
Benefitting focus operation, dual AF multi selectors are featured on the camera for easy access in either the horizontal or vertical orientation and AF area/target settings can also be customized for shooting in either orientation. Converse to autofocus capabilities, manual focus users are also benefitted by live view magnification and focus peaking controls for greater accuracy.
- 5-Axis Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization
- In-body, sensor-shift image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 7 stops with any lens in use and compensates for camera movements that become especially noticeable when working with telephoto shots, macro imagery, and long exposures. Furthermore, this unique image stabilization system works across five axes to compensate for vertical angle rotation, horizontal angle rotation, horizontal shift, vertical shift, and rolling camera shake movement. This range of detected movements serves to benefit traditional still image shooting as well as movie recording and working with moving subjects more effectively. Additionally, when paired with select lenses featuring optical image stabilization, shake compensation up to 7.5 stops is possible.
- Body Design
- High-resolution 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder is available for eye-level monitoring, and it offers an impressive 0.83x maximum magnification for clear, distortion-free viewing. The finder’s design uses a four-element optical system, which includes aspherical and high refractive index elements, for high clarity and it also has a maximum frame rate of 120 fps and lag time of 0.005 sec for fluid and accurate movement rendering.
- Rear 3.0″ 1.037m-dot LCD monitor features a vari-angle design to support working from a variety of angles, and it is also a touchscreen for intuitive menu navigation and image playback. Additionally, an LV Boost mode can be used to optimize the screen’s brightness and prioritize the frame rate when working in dark locations.
- Integrated vertical grip offers a more ergonomic and secure design for holding the camera in either the horizontal or vertical shooting orientation. This design also affords more room for incorporating two sets of physical controls, shutter releases, and permits working with two batteries.
- Dual BLH-1 rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are used to provide extended shooting times, rated to 870 shots per charge with normal settings or up to an impressive 2580 shots per charge with the quick sleep mode activated.
- The USB Type-C port can be used for quick in-camera charging of both batteries; up to 100W of power can be delivered to charge in as little as two hours and a dedicated Battery Status display will highlight charging stats and battery degradation info.
- Dual SD memory card slots offer improved flexibility for image storage, allowing you to segregate raw and JPEG files to different cards, save duplicate files to both cards, or simply double your storage space with overflow recording. Additionally, both card slots are UHS-II compatible for fast read/write speeds regardless of which slot is used as the primary.
- Wide accessory compatibility provided with the incorporation of headphone and microphone ports, a PC sync flash terminal and top hot shoe, USB Type-C and micro-HDMI ports, and a 2.5mm port for optional remotes.
- Rugged Splashproof, Dustproof, and Freezeproof construction incorporates extensive sealing throughout the magnesium-alloy body to accommodate working in harsh weather conditions and trying environments, even when a cable, microphone, or a set of headphones are attached.
- Benefitting working with the electronic viewfinder, a series of physical controls are placed about the top and rear of the camera for easy access. Also, the multi-selector, control dial, and AFL/AEL button have been duplicated for access when shooting in either the horizontal or vertical orientation.
- C-Lock is a position with the Lock lever that allows you to customize which features will be locked and which will remain unlocked when in the C-Lock position. It can also be used to lock the vertical position controls if choosing to shoot entirely with the horizontal orientation controls.
- Supersonic Wave Filter and a dust-resistant coating are used to greatly reduce the likelihood of dust reaching the sensor.
- Integrated heat pipe helps to dissipate heat from the imaging components to benefit recording video and shooting sequential stills in hot temperatures.
- Durable shutter unit is rated to perform for over 400,000 actuations.
- Shooting Modes
- Tripod High Res Shot mode offers the equivalent output of a 50MP JPEG image or 80MP raw image by combining eight sequentially recorded frames into a single, larger image. In between each of the exposures, the sensor-shift stabilization mechanism moves slightly in order to acquire more information than in a single exposure and these frames are then composited into a final image with greater resolution and color detail. The dual TruePic VIII processors aid this process by compensating for any subject movement blur and this feature can also be configured to record 25MP images for file size flexibility.
- Handheld High Res Shot mode, like the Tripod mode, produces a 50MP JPEG or raw file by compositing sequentially recorded files into a single image. The Handheld High Res Shot mode differs from the Tripod mode by recording 16 independent frames, opposed to eight, and the slight movement caused by hand-holding provides the range of movement needed to produce the larger final image.
- Simulating the effects of a neutral density filter, Live ND results in blurred subject movement by compositing exposures to replicate the look of a single image taken at a slower shutter speed. Particularly suitable for photographing moving water, five modes are available—ND2, ND4, ND8, ND16, and ND32—to vary how movement is portrayed.
- Live Composite is a unique long exposure mode that allows you to gradually build up an exposure over time without overexposing key elements within the frame. This mode works to only record newly detected light sources over time, and allows you to watch as an image develops, making it ideally suited for photographing star trails or other moving light sources.
- Live Bulb and Live Time settings can be used to produce creative long exposure imagery. Live Bulb lets you hold the shutter open for up to one minute and Live Time lets you press the shutter button once to open the shutter and then press again within a minute to end the exposure.
- Pro Capture Mode is a unique setting that starts recording and buffering full-resolution JPEG or raw images prior to fully depressing the shutter. As soon as you press the shutter button halfway, frames will begin to be recorded, and once you fully press the shutter, the image will be saved in addition to the previous 35 frames. Additionally, you can hold the shutter button in this mode to keep shooting continuously using the silent electronic shutter function.
- Interval shooting is supported for up to 999 frames with 1 second to 24-hour exposure intervals.
- Anti-flicker shooting automatically detects the frequency/flicker of artificial lighting and activates the shutter at peak brightness moments to render exposures with consistent exposure and color.
- In-Camera Focus Stacking will automatically record eight images of a subject while shifting the plane of focus slightly, then composite these exposures into a single frame to exhibit an extended depth of field. Alternatively, Focus Bracketing allows you to record between 3-999 frames with adjustable focus steps in a 1-10 range for manual compositing during post-production. These modes are only available when working with M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro, 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO, 30mm f/3.5 Macro, 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO, 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO, 300mm f/4 IS PRO, and 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO lenses.
- Keystone Compensation allows you to correct for convergence when working in live view. Similarly, Fisheye Compensation allows you to use the M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO lens as a rectilinear wide-angle lens by correcting and eliminating distortion.
- Connectivity and Post-Processing
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth permits wireless image sharing and remote camera control from a linked smartphone or tablet when using the dedicated O.I.Share app for iOS and Android.
- Built-in Field Sensor System sports an integrated GPS module (GLONASS and QZSS) along with an electronic compass, manometer, temperature sensor, and acceleration sensor.
- For post-processing, Olympus Workspace software is available for processing raw files, editing images, and managing your photo library. Files can be previewed, rated, and tagged; customizable functions can be set for faster access to oft-used functions; and raw files can be processed faster compared to previous iterations. Additionally, for image editing, clarity and dehaze sliders are available, alongside other editing tools, for fine-tuning the look of photos.
- Olympus Capture, a tethering application, now supports wireless tethering in addition to conventional tethering over USB connection.